Established in 1844 David Sime Cargill, a Scottish businessman, and William Miller started a joint ventured company in Fort. They founded a warehouse, as well as departments for the wholesale and import of products. Their company was established in York Street. The building is a characteristic landmark for Fort. The red and white bricks-building has served as a high-end department store during the British period in Sri Lanka, but is now almost empty. Fortunately the building has been restored on the outside, but the interior has lost all of its grace. However, Cargills has grown rapidly during the last decade. Its supermarkets are currently known as Food City and KFC, the latter one which has been incorporated as a franchise deal. Both now have settled inside the building as a start of the interior refurbishing project, but still a lot has to be done to bring the building back into its old glory.