The independence of Sri Lanka from British rule on the 4th of February 1948 is an important moment in the history of this country, being celebrated annually. To commemorate this special event, the first prime minister of the country, D.S. Sananayaka, took the initiative to build a monument to commemorate this important event in Sri Lankan history. On that same particular place, where the hall was built, the first parliamentary meeting was held in presence of HRH Prince Henry, the Duke of Gloucester. The architecture of this open structure is based on the Royal Audience Hall in Kandy, the Magul Maduwa, with beautiful decorations on the columns and the ceiling. The leveled foundation on which the monument is built is decorated with a group of lion statues. Underneath the Memorial Hall is the Independence Museum, which contains statues of heroes who fought for the independence of the country and during the 30 years’ war against the LTTE. The museum is opened between 09.00 a.m. and 5.00 p.m.