She survived 120 years before she was removed from the Gordon Gardens, the 4 acres park, surrounding the President’s House: the statue of Queen Victoria. Sir Arthur Hamilton Gordon laid out this park on his own expenses to commemorate the Golden Jubilee of Queen Victoria in 1887. It used to be a public park until 1980 with a wide variety of flowers and trees, when it became a part of the President’s House. The house itself was the private residence of the last Dutch governor, Johan Gerard van Angelbeek, before the British took it over in 1804. As the residence of the Governor of Ceylon it was known as the Queen’s House or King’s House, depending on the type of monarch. Unfortunately, the President’s House and the Gordon Gardens are off for the public. Since 1830, when the construction of the first ‘highway’ between Colombo and Kandy started, all distances in Sri Lanka have been measured in miles from the President’s House.